ATUMASHI (Incomparable) Monastery (N-20), northeast of Mandalay. This monastery was built by King Mindon in 1857. Only the masonry balustrade and staircases with elaborate stucco carvings remain as the whole building was burnt in 1890, and completely reconstructed in 1996.
CULTURAL MUSEUM (K-18), near the Mandalay Palace. The museum houses a collection of articles-- Royal Costumes, palm leaf manuscripts, ornamental receptacles, wooden figures and
wood-carvings, particularly from the reigns of the last two
EINDAWYAR PAGODA (G-16), corner of 26th and 88th Streets. This Finely proportionate pagoda was built by king Bagan in 1847 and marks the site where he resided before he ascended the throne.
EMBROIDERY WORK (M-18), Embroidery is an old and popular craft in Myanmar. The sequined embroidery work includes applique work made by cutting figures out of cloth of various colours and attaching them to black velvet cloth hangings.
GOLD-LEAF MAKING 0-14), 36th Street between 77th and 78th Streets. The art of making gold-leaf is an ancient craft of Mandalay. Small bits of gold are beaten into thin sheets to be used in gilding the pagodas, Buddha images and lacquer works.
KUTHO-DAW PAGODA (N-21), Southeast of Mandalay Hill. This pagoda was built in 1857 by King Mindon. Its distinctive feature is the collection of 729 stone slabs on which are inscribed the whole of the Buddhist scriptures. These stone slab
inscriptions are said to be the World's Biggest Book.
KYAUK-TAW-GYI PAGODA (M-20), near the southern approach to Mandalay Hill. This pagoda, built in 1878, contains a large Buddha image carved out of a single block of marble. The carving of the image was completed in 1865.
MAHA MYAT MUNI PAGODA (1-11), south of Mandalay. This
pagoda enshrines the much-venerated Mahamuni Image brought over from Rakhine (Arakan) State in 1784. It is cast of bronze but the body has for long been lavishly gilded. Within the precincts are six bronze figures of Khamer style which play an important role in the study of Asiatic arts.
MANDALAY HILL (M-22), northeast corner of Mandalay, This sacred hill which rises over 230 metres above the surrounding country side has over 1700 steps to climb to the top. From here one can have a superb panoramic view of the city. The main covered approach is guarded by two huge statues of lion.
MANDALA Y PALACE (K-18), northeast of Mandalay. The whole magnificent palace complex was destroyed by fire during the Second World War. However, the finely built palace walls, the city gates with their crowning wooden pavilions. Nan-myint-saung (watch-tower) and the surrounding moat still present an impressive scene of the Golden Palace City, Mandalay.
SANDA-MANI PAGODA (N-20), southeast of Mandalay Hill
east of Kyauktawgyi Pagoda. The pagoda contains an iron image of Buddha cast by King Bodawpaya in 1802 and removed from Amarapura by King Mindon in 1874.
SHWE INBIN MONASTERY (G-14), Daywunm quarter of western Mandalay. This monastery built in 1895 is one of the rare specimens of typical Myanmar architecture. It retains almost all the essential architectural features that are required of an ancient Myanmar monastery.